UK-based Nigerian student, Damilola, dies ‘after eating cannabis sweets’

0
171

A United Kingdom-based Nigerian student identified as Damilola Grace Olakanmi is dead after she was said to have consumed cannabis sweets.

The University of Hertfordshire business law undergraduate, 23, was said to have bought the “gummies” via a messaging app on her phone and they were delivered to her home.

Olakanmi and a 21-year-old friend immediately fell ill at their home in South Park Drive, Ilford at 11:30 pm on March 29.

According to Evening Standard, the pair ate the sweets that came in packaging branded “Trrlli Peachie O’s”.

Olakanmi was taken by air ambulance to Queen’s Hospital, Romford in critical condition.

It was gathered that doctors later discharged Olakanmi’s friend — who happens to be a student from the United States visiting the UK — from the hospital.

Richard Taylor, a justice campaigner and relative, consoled Wunmi, the student’s mother, who kept a vigil by her daughter’s bedside as she fought for her life in an east London hospital, where she died on Saturday.

“Wumi has lost her only child – she has nothing now. They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support,” Taylor said.

“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.

“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own. She was studying law.”