Boko Haram Chief commander, Saleh Mustapha, have surrendered to troops in Borno, says DHQ

0
108

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says Saleh Mustapha, a commander of Boko Haram, has surrendered to troops of Operation Hadin Kai, in the north-east.

Addressing journalists on Thursday, in Abuja, Bernard Onyeuko, director of defence media operations, said Mustapha’s surrender to the troops in Bama was significant.

Giving an update on military operations between March 25 and April 7, Onyeuko said a total of 51,114 insurgents and families comprising of 11,398 men, 15,381 women, 24,335 children had so far surrendered to troops as of April 5.

Onyeuko said the troops also neutralised scores of insurgents while 22 spies, 11 bandits and three logistics suppliers were arrested with 30 civilians rescued during the period.

According to him, all surrendered insurgents have been documented, while arrested ones, rescued civilians and recovered items have been handed over to the appropriate authorities for further action.

He said in the last two weeks, troops recovered one battle tank, five artillery guns, two GTS and three AA guns from the insurgents.

“Others are one mine resistance ambush protected (MRAP) vehicle, three gun trucks, One MOWAG armored personnel carrier and two RPG tubes,” he said.

“Three RPG rockets, three RPG bombs, one NSVT gun, two GPMG, one light MG, one PKM, three GPMG belts and four belts of PKT rounds.

“Also recovered are 600 7.62mm NATO rounds, 16 AK 47 rifles, one dane gun, 270 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition, one Toyota Buffalo vehicle, one Golf saloon car, four motorcycles, six magazines, two pairs of camouflage, two terrorists flags, one tricycle and one active drone.”