Governor Ajimobi Allegedly ‘DUPED’ 20,000 Students In Name Of Bursary [Shocking Details Inside]
Governor Abiola Ajimobi has been accused of duping over 20,000 Oyo students with bursary, as they protested against hike in school fees, unpaid bursary and persistent strike by lecturers in tertiary institutions owned by the state government on Monday in Ibadan, the state capital.
Hundreds of Oyo students under the platform of Federation of Oyo State Students Union (FOSSU), said Governor Ajimobi was not ready to pay the bursary yet it “dubiously asked our students to purchase the form online with N1,200 per head thereby generating millions of naira”.
FOSSU’s National President, Azeez Sharafudeen, also threatened mass mobilisation if the government fails to attend to their needs within 21 days. The full statement reads;
- Press release from the National Secretariat of the Federation of Oyo State Students’ Union [FOSSU], on Monday, 29th of October, 2018 over the underfunding of educational sector and perpetual strike actions in all state-owned tertiary institutions and the non-payment of indigenous students bursary/grant.
- Thousands of indigenous students across the country gathered today to protest against bad educational policy in the state , unjust skyrocketing of tuitions fee, incessant strike action in all state-owned institutions, over-crowding of students in lecture rooms, imposing of illegal levies on students in the name of generating IGR for state-owned schools, semi-privatization of state-owned institutions, lack of teaching materials & aids in schools, lack of infrastructures in school and failure to fulfill the signed MOU over the payment of students bursary and other issues on education in the state.
- Today, thousands of indigenous students in the state have resolved to come out in a well-applauded democratic measure to inform the general public, the plight bedevilling the state of education and students’ well-being in the state. Today’s commitment has taken a page in the history of the state, yes!
- The planned mass demonstration is dedicated to every mind, who continued to feel unjust, discomfort and not pleased with the provocative circumstances ceaselessly visiting the educational sectors of the state, where the human resources and the material values hosting the academic terrain scathe continued to suffer setbacks, as the degradation keeps resurfacing in the system. Entire students of the state under the leadership of Comrade Azeez Akano stating categorically right from inception into office as National President has been proving to be resolute, radical and coordinated wing of students movement. This has provided us with enormous opportunity to maintain our cordial affairs with the APC – led government of the state, regardless of unwelcoming treatment we continue to receive at our ends.
- It’s considered imperative to inform the members of public society and the international community as the derelict state of education calls for public concerns. The government of the state under the leadership of Governor Abiola Ajimobi in recent time, as part of its ability to enliven the inclusion of students’ responsibilities in government, by charting a template to ensure students enjoy the bursary scheme and scholarship grants, but we can say, this was only done to defraud unsuspecting numbers of students who applied through online – registration with sum of one thousand two hundred naira [N1,200] as processes involved were found to be fraudulent and it was an act to extort students
Even from the record, 2012 was the last year, students’ bursary/grants were included in the budget of the state, though was done with series of manipulations and irregularities, where bonafide and genuine students of the state who duly registered as a member of FOSSU were unable to appear in the beneficiary list.
The spinning out of this wicked situation seems to be reflecting in the present consideration giving to the bursary scheme by the state government, Education sector, bursary scheme and scholarship grant as a major benefit that integrates and includes students into governance has hence facing unfavourable treatment by the state government.
Recently, the umbrella body of all indigenous students of Oyo State, FOSSU, has rightly raised alarm on the double-standard play out of the state government over its unproductive response which translates into its apparent jettison to implement the signed MOU; the agreement in question was unequivocally made by the government and students body during the roundtable peace-broker meeting held on May 21st, 2018 in a bid to avert the planned protest of May 24th, 2018, having exhausted all means and mechanism in articulating for the right of entire students.
The joint Memorandum released, stated that 21 days ultimatum was agreed – on, in order to provide effective modality at which the said payment will be done and the two bodies shall reconvene for subsequent activities stipulated toward successful actualization of this year bursary scheme.
We’re addressing the public today, as part of the day activities for the massive occupation of the state, as other activities will soon be unleashed, students of the state have resolved to kick start the mass demonstration until justice is provided and needful is done to the yearnings of the students. We’re as well stating categorically that, no hanky-panky play on the part of the government shall be entertained and no excuses of financial shortfall shall be condoned.
What can we say, when other states in the region are doing well to put smile on the faces of students. Lagos, Ogun, Ekiti and others are on yearly basis ensuring the implementation of students bursary in the state budget, in order to strengthen the fact at hand; Kwara State has recently released the sum of 100M for the payment of students’ bursary.
Contact Editor using email@example.com or call direct 0808 360 9209.