The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the tragic death of a 39-year-old woman, Lilian Nwarache, who consumed a bottle of insecticide in the Iwaya area of Lagos on Friday.
She had been suffering from a long-term illness and had sought help in a local church in Iwaya.
Frustrated by her condition, she resorted to drinking the toxic substance. Despite her attempt to jump into a canal after ingesting the insecticide, quick-thinking passers-by intervened, and she was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was declared deceased by a doctor on duty.
Police have found her three passports and a Samsung phone in her bag and are making efforts to contact her family.
An autopsy is scheduled to be performed after her body was deposited at the Lagos Mainland Hospital Mortuary.