Home Blog Page 2

Female student of OOU committed suicide with Sniper in Ogun, says police

0

The Police command in Ogun says Adaeze Jaja, a 400-level female student of Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), committed suicide with Sniper, an insecticide, in a hotel room in Ago-Iwoye.

Omolola Odutola, the police spokesperson, said the victim was found lying unconscious in her room and foaming in the mouth with an empty bottle of Sniper beside her.

Odutola said the incident was reported to the divisional police officer of Ago-Iwoye division, on January 27.

“The Director of Be-Happy Hotel in Ago-Iwoye, Oduniyi Adelaja, came to the police station and reported that at about 6 a. m. on the day, he received information from one Adebayo Israel, a staff member of the hotel,” she said.

“Israel said that Adaeze was found lying unconscious and foaming in the mouth on a freezer.

“An empty bottle of Sniper was found beside her, and she was immediately rushed to Best Care Hospital and later transferred to Love and Care Hospital in Ago-Iwoye, where she was confirmed dead.”

Odutola said the body of the student has been taken to the OOU Teaching Hospital mortuary for an autopsy.

She added that the police Divisional Crime Branch (DCB) had commenced investigation into the case, while the institution’s authorities had been notified.

Governor Mutfwang sacks Plateau State University VC, Professor Bernard Matau, others

0

The Vice Chancellor of the Plateau State University, Professor Bernard Matau has been sacked from office.

Matau was appointed as the Vice Chancellor of the state university while serving as the state Commissioner for Higher Education in the last administration led by former Governor Simon Lalong.

It was learnt that the vice Chancellor whose tenure is yet to elapse was removed from office alongside four other heads of tertiary institutions in the state including the Rector of the Plateau State Polytechnic, Barkin Ladi; Provost, College of Health Technology, Pankshin; Provost, College of Health Technology, Zawan as well as the Provost, College of Education, Gindiri.

A statement issued by the Secretary to the State Government, Samuel Jatau, confirmed the development on Tuesday.

The statement read in part “His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Plateau state, Barrister Caleb Mutfwang has approved the dissolution of the Governing Council of the Plateau State University, Bokkos with immediate effect. Similarly, the governor has also approved the removal of the following heads of tertiary institutions: Plateau State University, Bokkos; Plateau State Polytechnic, Barkin Ladi; College of Education, Gindiri; College of Health Technology, Zawan and College of Health Technology, Pankshin”.

The statement which offered no reason for their removal said all affected heads should take note and hand over any government property in their possession to the next most senior officers in the institutions immediately.

It added “The governor has also approved the cancellation of recruitment earlier conducted by tertiary institutions in 2022 and early 2023 that have been under suspension.

“Consequently, applications for an all-inclusive recruitment for all tertiary institutions would be advertised.”

The statement quoted the governor as thanking the chairman and members of the Governing Council for the services rendered in the state and wished them success in their future endeavours.

AFCON: Osimhen doubtful for South Africa clash after suffering abdominal discomfort

0

Victor Osimhen is battling abdominal discomfort ahead of the Super Eagles’ Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) semi-final clash against South Africa.

Babafemi Raji, the Super Eagles media officer, announced the development in a statement on Monday.

The 25-year-old was left behind in Abidjan, where he was “placed under close watch with a member of the medical team” while the rest of the team travelled to Buoke, the city where the semi-final match will be held.

The statement added that “If cleared by tomorrow morning, he will join the rest of the squad before 5 pm.”

“We will fly from Abidjan to Bouaké today via a 10 pm Air Cote D’Ivoire flight,” the statement reads.

“Victor Osimhen will not join us on this trip as a result of an abdominal discomfort. Team medics confirmed that he has been placed under close watch, with a member of the medical team staying behind in Abidjan with him. If cleared by tomorrow morning, he will join the rest of the squad before 5 pm.”

The statement did not confirm if the injury might rule the striker out of the clash against the Bafana Bafana on Wednesday.

The match is billed for 6 pm.

NAFDAC bans production of alcohol in sachets, pet bottles

0

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has banned the production of alcohol in sachets and pet bottles of less than 200ml.

Kazeem Adeniran, NAFDAC assistant chief regulation officer, investigation and enforcement, announced the development on Monday at a two-day enforcement exercise in Ota, Ogun state.

Adeniran said the ban is in line with the agreement reached by a tripartite committee set up in 2018 by the federal ministry of health.

He said part of the 2018 agreement was that distillers, under the Distillers and Blenders Association of Nigeria (DIBAN), would stop the production of alcohol in sachets and pet bottles of less than 200ml with effect from January 31, 2024.

Adeniran said the committee was made up of representatives of NAFDAC, DIBAN and other stakeholders.

“These companies were still producing those alcohols below 200ml at as the time we carried this enforcement exercise, which is not supposed to be,” NAN quoted Adeniran as saying.

“It is clearly stated after the meeting in 2018 that they should stop the production of such alcohol in sachets and pet bottles by 2024 and embark on production of alcohol above 200ml.

“Therefore, we are not expecting to see these alcohol sachets and pet bottles in any Nigerian market for consumption.”

Adeniran said products found in companies visited would be destroyed.

He added that NAFDAC is committed to ensuring goods sold to Nigerians are safe for consumption.

Naira appreciates to N1,419/$ at official market

0

The naira appreciated at the Nigerian Autonomous Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEM), the country’s official window, on Monday.

Naira rose by 1.06 percent to close at N1,419.86 to a dollar — from N1,435/$ recorded at the close of trading last Friday.

According to data on FMDQ Exchange, a platform that oversees official FX trading in Nigeria, the naira was quoted as high as N1,526 per dollar and as low as N906 during the intra-day trading.

The daily foreign exchange market turnover recorded during the trading day is valued at $440.13 million.

Naira, however, fell to N1,450 per dollar at the parallel section of the foreign exchange market, depreciating by N40 or 2.84 percent from the N1,410/$ traded on Thursday.

Currency traders, known as Bureau De Change (BDC) operators in Lagos, quoted the buying rate at N1,440 and the selling price at N1,450 — leaving a profit margin of N10.

Meanwhile, on Monday, Olayemi Cardoso, governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), said the naira will stabilise as foreign investments enter the country.

Cardoso said as foreign investors’ confidence returns and “their money starts coming in, volatility begins to reduce. As the volatility reduces and the foreign exchange market stabilises, the naira, which is currently undervalued, will stabilise”.

The Apex bank governor also assured Nigerians that the time to panic over the economy is not now but of the past.

King Charles III diagnosed with cancer, to postpone public duties

0

King Charles III has been diagnosed with a form of cancer.

Buckingham Palace announced in a statement on Monday the condition of the monarch without specifying what kind of cancer King Charles was diagnosed with.

The development comes nearly three weeks after the 75-year-old was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.

The palace said the cancer was noted during the King’s treatment which he spent three nights in the hospital.

“His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties,” the statement reads.

“Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.

“The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.

“His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”

In an X post, Rishi Sunak, British prime minister, wished the monarch a full and speedy recovery.

“I have no doubt he’ll be back to full strength in no time and I know the whole country will be wishing him well,” Sunak wrote.

Man kills girlfriend, commits suicide in Lagos

0

A Nigerian man, identified as Adebayo Adeseko, has committed suicide after killing Sarah Adesanya, his girlfriend, in the Ojodu area of Lagos state.

A now-deleted video on social media shows the couple lying lifeless in a pool of blood.

In a series of posts on X, @lahyorbronze, Sarah’s sister, confirmed her sister’s demise.

She said the news was delivered by a neighbour.

“My sister boyfriend has finally murdered her 💔💔💔💔💔 My worst fear has come to pass 😭😭💔,” she wrote.

“I do not know what happened or how it happened. Her neighbour called to break the news. My worst fear has come to pass.”

Layor added that she had made efforts to report previous incidents of domestic abuse by Sarah’s ex-boyfriend to the authorities.

She said they failed to intervene, insisting that the victim herself needed to file a report.

“I reported at the station but the police said they can’t do anything until she makes the report herself @NigeriapolicePR Now she can’t report in person,” she added.

Benjamin Hundeyin, the Lagos police command spokesperson, confirmed the incident on Monday.

The police spokesperson said the incident was reported to the Ojodu police division on Sunday at about 9:10 am.

Hundeyin said a team of operatives from the station immediately went to the scene and evacuated the corpses to the mortuary for autopsy.

He added that there is an ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding their deaths.

NPF Microfinance Bank appoints 4 new directors

0

The Board of NPF Microfinance Bank Plc has announced the appointment of four new directors for the company. 

This was contained in the company’s notice to the Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX) and the investing public seen by newsmen.

According to the statement signed by the Company Secretary, MrsO.J. Idemudia, the four new directors which include Mr Akinlade, Atanda Mutalib, AIG Dauda, Dabban Idrisu (Rtd), CP Adegbuyi, Samuel Damilola (Rtd) and Mr Abah, Friday Aduojo were appointed unto our Board to fill the vacancies created by the exit of Mr A. Udah, Mr A. Satumari, Mrs R. Shehu and Mr U.I. Baba. 

Profile of Mr. Akinlade

Mr. Akinlade, AtandaMutalib FCA was appointed as an Independent Non-Executive Director. He was born on 10th June 1963 and hails from Ogun State.

He is a member of several professional bodies, among which are the Chartered Institute of Accountants of Nigeria, the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria, and the US Information Systems Audit and Control Association.

He is currently the Managing Partner of. M.A AKINLADE & CO.  

Profile of AIG Dauda 

AIG Dauda, Dabban Idrisu (Rtd) was appointed as a Non-Executive Director. He was born on the 1st October 1963 and hails from Niger State.

He holds a B.A.Ed. in Education from Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto (1988) and a masters in Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice from Abu Zaria.

He started his career with the Nigeria Police Force in 1991 and served in various capacities in the Police Force. He retired as Assistant Inspector General of Police in the year 2023.  

Profile of CPAdegbuyi 

 Adegbuyi, Samuel Damilola (Rtd)was also appointed as a Non-Executive Director. He was born on 13th February 1957 and hails from Ogun State.

He holds a BSc in Business Administration from Livingston University, Livingston, Alabama, USA (1981).

He started his career with the Nigeria Police Force in 1984 and served in various capacities in the Police Force. He retired as Commissioner of Police in the year 2014.  

Profile of Mr. Abah 

Mr. Abah, Friday Aduojo was appointed an Independent Non-Executive Director. He was born on the 8th of May 1978 and hails from Kogi State.

He holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from the Kogi State University and a Masters of Law from the University of Lagos and was called to the Nigeria Bar in 2006. He is a Chartered Administrator and currently a partner at Pearl Attorney.  

The board noted that their appointment was subject to the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria and Shareholders at the Annual General Meeting. 

Major roads blocked as residents protest high living cost in Minna (Video)

0

Major roads within the Minna metropolis, Niger State, have been blocked as residents protested the high cost of living in the country.

The protesters including women and youths on Monday, February 5, 2024, were heard chanting protest songs, while security agents including policemen looked on.

The protesters said the rising cost of food items and poor government effort to arresting the situation forced them to block major roads so that government will hear their cry.

The Deputy Governor of Niger State, Yakubu Garba, while addressing the protesters, said the government is aware of the pain and hardship families are faced with at this time.

He said the government is working towards reducing the cost of living and consequences of the petrol subsidy removal.

Multichoice rejects $2.5 billion Canal+ acquisition offer, says it was undervalued

0

Pan-African Pay-tv operator, Multichoice, said it has turned down the $2.5 billion acquisition offer by French media company, Canal+.

The company disclosed this in a notice to its shareholders on Monday. Multichoice said it turned down the acquisition offer because the R105 per share being proposed by Canal+ undervalues the company.

According to Multichoice, Canal+ currently holds 35.01% of the Company’s total ordinary shares in issue. The botched bid was to acquire the remainder of the entire issued share capital of MultiChoice for a proposed price of R105 per share in cash.

Explaining the reasons for turning down the offer in a Monday notice withdrawing its earlier cautionary message to its shareholders, Multichoice said it recently conducted a valuation which showed that its unit of share is worth more than R105.

“After careful consideration, the Board has concluded that the proposed offer price of R105 in cash significantly undervalues the Group and its prospects. The Board has reached this conclusion taking into account all relevant considerations, including the following:

“MultiChoice has recently conducted a valuation exercise, which has valued MultiChoice significantly above R105 a share.

“MultiChoice’s valuation excludes any potential synergies which may arise from the envisaged transaction.

“In this regard Canal+ has, following the lengthy discussions between the parties, repeatedly conveyed to the public what it sees as the advantages of the combined entity and therefore seemingly takes the view that there are significant synergies. These synergies need to be factored into any fair offer made by Canal+” Multichoice added.

The company’s board noted that while it is open to all means of maximizing shareholder value, it has conveyed to Canal+ that – at this proposed price – the letter does not provide a basis for further engagement.

“Caution is accordingly no longer required to be exercised by shareholders when dealing in their securities. In keeping with its duty to act in the best interests of the Company, the Board remains open to engage with any party in respect of any offer which is for a fair price and is subject to appropriate conditions. Moreover, it goes without saying that the Board will continue to act in accordance with its duties in the applicable provisions of the Takeover Regulations regarding any formal and binding offer,” the company added.